Sunday, December 11, 2011

Christmas Music -- Thursday, December 8, 2011

Oh my word!  Sometimes projects get out of hand, especially around the holidays.  You can get an idea, a vision, or a desire of something you want to do or get or give or create for the holidays, but it just gets out of hand!  Well, maybe some of you are more wise, strategic, or restrained - but for me; it happens. 

Sometimes things get out of hand.

There are some Christmas season traditions and rituals that are yearly on our calendar.  But each year there is something different, unique, and splendid that makes its way into our routine.

There was the year of crocheting afghans.  I am not sure, but I must have created at least a dozen.  Oh my word, that was a lot of yarn and time and tired fingers!  But once started, I had to finish.

Then there was the year of the 130 handmade Christmas cards.

And many of you might remember 21 years ago my excessive use of hairspray which resulted in a Cass’ hair catching on fire Christmas Eve.

And yes, I confess there are more than 400 ornaments on my Christmas tree.  Some of you might think 2400 lights on the tree is a bit out of hand.  But, graciously Tim participates!
Well, this year - its Christmas music.  I love Christmas music and love listening to it the month of December.  But I confess, the repetition in the play lists of most radio stations leaves me a bit bored by the tenth of the month.  For years, we have played cds on shuffle while at work.  But the accumulation of sawdust in that environment  has really messed with the cd carousel’s ability to recognize, read and play.  Therefore, I am stuck with the radio.

No,  I am not! 

Oh my word - I have a computer, I have iTunes, I have 30 years of accumulated Christmas music, I have a drawer full of cds.  If I import, create a playlist, and connect my computer to the speakers..... we can have our own splendid Christmas music playlist with fewer repetitions than we endure with radio listening.

And so it began with a concept; wrapped in simplicity, with a finite plan.

Do you know how many hours it takes to import a drawer full of cds into iTunes?

Oh my word, I have been at this ALL WEEK!  Ane while waiting for importing, I ponder “What other songs might we enjoy?”  Then I grab another cd....

The playlist is currently  1248 songs, 5.1 gigs, and will play for 72 hours and 3 minutes!

Yes, things can get out of hand!

But, I may finish this project on Tuesday.  Cindy will bring her favorite cds to work (that might not already be in this collection) and I will import them to add to our collection.  And then one last time I will ask myself “what else should I include?”
Please let me know if you have any suggestions to be incuded in my playlist.  I don’t want to forget something.  Yes, I already have imported the Messiah, the Nutcracker, Fred Waring’s “Twas the Night Before Christmas”, Mannheim Steamroller, TransSiberian Orchestra, Gene Autry,  Elvis,  Il Divo,  Mark Lowry, Carly Simon,  Harry Connick and his dad Ray Conniff,  Etta James,  Nora Jones,  Lori Line.....  the list is obviously long.   Yes, even Sheryl Crow.  Yet, there will be no better time to add one more song than on TUESDAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment