Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Grocery Carts -- Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Do you ever look at what is in the grocery cart next to you in line at the check out?

Well, I do.


In fact today, one of the craziest days of the year in supermarkets, I had plenty of time to check out other carts’ contents even before getting to the check out lane.  I chose to go to Super Saver because they had some specials I was wanting for specific recipes to be enjoyed over the holiday weekend.  Super Saver is a large store and its aisles are wider than many stores which should have made for a smoother experience on this huge grocery shopping day.  But even so, the store was packed with shoppers.  The aisles were jammed with carts.  It resembled a holding pattern over a busy airport.  At the end of each aisle you had to wait in line to make a turn.  I spent more time standing still in the aisles than I did searching for what I had on my list.  I am not as familiar with where things are at Super Saver as I am in my regular grocery, so I spent time searching, overlooking, and then returning to several aisles for second, third and fourth time searches.

So, as you can see I had plenty of time to check out the other carts and what they had on their lists to buy for their holiday.  I saw the usual turkey, stuffing mixes, canned vegetables, potatoes,  sweet potatoes, cranberries, and pie fixins.  But I also saw a couple of things that really made me smile and wonder what the holiday plans and meals were going to be for these particular shoppers.

One cart had only three items in it.   That alone is a bit unique, but the three items were the same ingredient.  A one ingredient meal....  or did someone have to make a return trip to the grocery for a forgotten item ....  I think neither is the case, and I admit - this would not be the meal of my choosing.  All the young man had in his cart were chitlings.  Three very large bags of frozen chitlings!  They are not my favorite....  I had to grit my teeth at the thought of that meal.

Cart Two:  Again, I just have to chuckle at the thought of what would be made from its contents.  This woman had four cases (that’s 48 jars) of marshmallow creme filling her cart!  A massive salad?  An enormous dessert?  300 banana splits?  What on earth would anyone do with that much marshmallow creme?

Seeing such unique cart loads did make my time more entertaining as I searched for bacon (real bacon) bits and then had to make my way all the way back through the crowded store for the forgotten bag of potato chips.  Green bean casserole (Cheans as it is named in our family) would not be the same without that crunchy topping!
All in all, it was a great experience.  After all, who could ask for anything more than can be found in so many grocery stores here in Lincoln, across the state, and throughout our nation.  We are about to celebrate gratitude and we truly have a lot to put on our blessings' lists!

We live with the freedom to choose what goes into our cart....  from chitlings to marshmallow creme!  We live with the economy, that while it is slow, allows us to have all these choices right at hand!  We live with safety and freedom that allows my greatest shopping frustration to be looking for a parking place and forgetting potato chips!

Truly blessed.

May tomorrow’s holiday give you an opportunity to look around and recognize how and where your cup over flows.

In my prayers of gratitude I will also name Jen as she gathers with and shares with fellow Fulbrighters in the great nation of Macedonia.  Surrounded by ancient history and gracious people, they will be given the opportunity to celebrate a very American holiday!  Yes, the holiday is American but the gratitude in the heart is international.

May blessings flow for each of you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment