Thursday, October 27, 2011

Doesn't Sound Strange At All - October 21, 2011

Just another form of me....
        voice,
        e-mail’s typing,
        chat exchanges,
        face on skype, and now
        from my hand - snail mail!

Oh my word - maybe snail mail does have value!  And maybe it is worth waiting for!
Jen received her first piece of first class mail from us today.  Her comments about its arrival included how great it was to see me....  my handwriting.  Yes, we all wear more than one hat and all project ourselves in more than one form.   Don’t ever take the voice of a loved one for granted.  Don’t ever take face to face interactions with a loved one for granted.  Don’t ever take moments of electronic communication for granted.  And now I add, don’t ever take the handwriting of a loved one for granted.

Actually, I can share a similar sense of connection to a loved one through their handwriting.  This past week while getting some batteries out of our battery inventory box I came across a meticulously hand written list of watches, their descriptions, and the number of the battery that was installed in each one.  This list was prepared by Tim’s dad, Gene, who died in 2007.  There was his handwriting.  There was his attention to what might seem like a minute detail.  There he was with me, all over again.

Even though Jen and I electronically communicate every day, seeing my handwriting must have touched her in much the same way as my seeing Gene’s.  So, when she commented that it might sound a bit strange, it was not a bit strange to me that she thought of my handwriting as another form of me.

The power, presence, touch and glory of God are available to us in much the same way, in many different forms.  If we look and watch we will see Him in many different forms.  From the offer of a lending hand, to a message of encouragement, to an answer long waited for; He is near in many different forms.


Be watchful!  Be observant!  Savor!  Be patient!
It isn’t strange at all!

Sooner or later the mail will reach her.  One piece at a time (7 more floating around....  plus the new ones I am sending!) she will receive small treats from home!

No comments:

Post a Comment