Sunday, October 30, 2011

How Badly Do You Want It? - October 29, 2011

Sometimes, the difference between winning the football game and losing it is simply the team’s  level of desire.  They who want it the most, usually win!  Take a look back to last week’s Wisconsin - Michigan State Game.  In volleyball, take a look at the Nebraska - Illinois match.  All of these teams are talented, dedicated, committed and hard working.   But each of the games finished with a loser and a winner.   What made the differences?  Maybe, they who wanted it the most won the contests.

This may well be true for us in our own lives as well.  Desire is directly related to outcome.  Attitude is everything; well at least 80%.  Talent, skill, education are important but they pale in comparison to attitude and desire.  Maybe our outcome is greatly impacted by how badly we want it!

At times and in my own life, I know that to be a determining factor in my outcomes.  Planning, building and working toward a goal are all important.  But sometimes I just have to stop and ask myself, “How badly do you want this?” and then dig in!  That has been very true with the writing of this blog...  and especially carving out the time to start with posting the writings about Jen, winning the Fulbright, preparing and traveling!  It does take time, it does take effort to commit to writing.  But I want to do it; yet the demands of the other areas in my life don’t always leave me much time for writing.  So, how badly did I want it?

It can take staying up all night and giving up some sleep to get something important accomplished!  And it was worth it!

So as I,  look forward to the Husker’s game with Michigan State and its outcome, I wonder about the deciding factor.  How badly they want it affects so many aspects of the game, not only how they play but also how they prepare.  It also affects how  what is anticipated, what is visualized, what is expected.  I wonder who will want it more!

And so it is on our lives and our own individual goals.....  how badly do we want it?

No comments:

Post a Comment