Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Last Rose of Summer - October 27, 2011

Here in Nebraska we enjoy the change of seasons.  Yes, I said enjoy.  The change of seasons sometimes is welcomed like a long lost friend, like a serviceman returning from Iraq, maybe even like winning the lottery!  That would be the change of seasons ushering in spring!   For me that is also true when we change into fall; well - early fall.  My favorite times of the year are when we change seasons from “furnace on” to “furnace off”  and from “air-conditioning on” to “air-conditioning off”.  The air is never more refreshing, comfortable and pleasant for me than those two seasons when we have no need for central heat or central air!  In Nebraska, those two seasons can be very short!  However, this fall it has been almost two months between air and heat.  Yes, we have not turned the furnace on yet.  That may make some of you shutter and shiver; but I love it! I can hear you saying, "Oh, my word". Looking ahead at the forecast we may have a few more days left in this season.

In Maceondia, Jen is crocheting blankets, gloves, and hats preparing for the Balkans’ change of seasons.  She is stocking up on water for the days she cannot walk to the store because of the winter elements.  She has even made her first batch of chili; literally her first batch!  Looks awesome, Jen.  Wish I could smell and taste.  Rachel Ray may wish for  “smellow vision” for her tv show,  I wish for  “sharing skype” for  four dimensional experiential sharing of what you show in your photos from Tetovo!
As I look out into the back yard, I do acknowledge that I am seeing the last rose of summer.  There are no others blooming, no buds waiting.  This one is it!  So, I know it is time to recognize that change is upon us; fall is fading; winter is near.  This change of season is not my favorite.  I do not look forward with a burning desire for ice and snow or for the gray, sunless days of Nebraska’s winters.  So, this rose is beautiful, symbolic and savored.  I know our days of short sleeves and flip flops are few and too soon will also be far between.

Not always are we given the opportunity to be so aware of looming change, looming struggle, or the nearness of the seasonal gauntlet.   Winter always closely follows fall; but life’s changes can catch us more unaware.  Sometimes illness, disease, loss, and challenges can happen in a split second without warning.  Our faith, hope, dignity, and tenacity can be challenged even though we live knowing that change is inevitable.  How will we respond?

Change is inevitable; growth is optional.  How will we respond?

I truly believe there are blessings within even the greatest burdens.  We just need to humbly seek them and learn to recognize them.

So, may we accept the change and determine it to be growth!
May we savor the last roses of our summers and the blooms on the basil, expect tulips and robins of the spring, and welcome winter’s opportunities for  hot tea, slower pace, snow days, jig saw puzzles and our holiday traditions!

No comments:

Post a Comment