Thursday, October 27, 2011

Time for a Confession - October 23, 2011

Well, I think it is time for a confession; so here I go.

Laundry is not on my top ten list of favorite activities!  Not really sure why, maybe because it is one of those things that never seems to be finished.  Once you sort, wash, dry, fold, sort, put away, hang.....  there’s new material!

I do get a sense of accomplishment when things are fresh smelling, available to wear, clean sheets and a freshly made bed, but still laundry is kind of time consuming and a bit of a hassle.  I can think of lots of things I would rather do!

But the more sincere and heartfelt part of this confession is: I have a washing machine and a clothes dryer.  They are not top of the line or new.  They make noises, in fact every time I use the dryer it sounds like this might be its last load.  But doing laundry for me does include some conveniences.  Jen is now in Tetovo, washing all of her laundry by hand and air drying. 

So the confession, I feel awful about dreading my laundry process!  How dare I!  I have equipment!  I can hardly imagine the drudgery of doing all the laundry by hand!  I need to get over the sense that doing laundry with conveniences is a hassle!


And I guess that is true for many factions of our daily living; it is easy to dread and dislike until we look around and see how fortunate we are!  We have lots of wonderful people, conveniences, opportunities around us - we need to shake off the temptation to take any of them for granted!

Speaking of laundry, there is something that makes me smile......

If you want to know how important it is to do laundry....  lift the lid of the washing machine while it is in the wash cycle!  Check out that water!  YUCK!

Jen shared that she now knows how important it really is to wash your clothes, because washing by hand she regularly sees the water!  It is dirty!  I just have to chuckle and smile!  I asked her if she had ever looked in the washing machine on while it is on the wash cycle.  She replied, “No!  And I don’t want to!  It is so gross!”

It is amazing what one can learn when they travel abroad.

Step out of your comfort zone today!  I challenge you to lift the lid on the washing machine!

Maybe laundry will make me smile more NOW!

P.S.  It’s now official - I won’t mind laundry so much.

In today’s crossword puzzle I find this clue: One who doesn't have much laundry to do. 
ANSWER:  nudist 

That’s not a choice for me.  I will make laundry!  I will do laundry!

2 comments:

  1. I sure has been a eye opening experience :) But I agree I love the smell of fresh laundry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always known you were a wonderful speaker, but now I've learned you are an awesome writer as well. Keep up your blogging!

    ReplyDelete